Tell me what you REALLY think!

Straight from my cranial space to the web.. thoughts I'd rather not share in polite company but feel impelled to express anyway. Feel free to join me.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Humble Homeschool

Homeschooling has never been easier.. there are literally millions of links and tips available... all ready to show us the "best" way to homeschool.

I've been thinking about the simplicity of the concept lately though... Homeschooling is something nearly every single parent does to some extent or another. Most parents don't consider themselves "homeschoolers".... but if they thought about it.. they would see that homeschooling is just as much a part of parenting as fixing meals and laying out clothes. Everytime we read our children a book, tell them a story, explain what a word means, mix up a batch of cookies with them.. nearly every parenting moment can be a homeschool moment. What parent has never helped with homework? What parent has never drilled the multiplication tables or ABC's?

The curriculum sellers have beautiful and awesome offerings... things that excite and motivate us to do better. I think though.. that the "homeschool" movement is so much larger than just those of us who eagerly peruse the latest educational offerings at conventions and "hotel" meetings. The humblest homeschool moment I've had was when I realized that those parents who "homeschool" their children before and after sending them off to public school actually spend MORE time "schooling" their children at home than I do. They also spend more time on school related chores (ironing clothes, packing lunches, dropping off/picking up, etc).

I'm blessed to be a Homeschooling mom. It's what I want to do. However... I try to keep in mind that just because it's the best choice for me (and usually.. the best educational choice for children)... I don't have a moral "high ground" just because I homeschool versus public school. It takes nerves of steel to send your precious darlings off to be tempted, abused and pressured by the world. It takes time, energy and money I just don't have to send children to school. Dealing with children who've been stressed all day, and dealing with a never ending stream of "need to get/do/find's"... that's something I don't think I'd be good at.

My days are as quiet as they can be considering I have five small children. We don't have high stress.. we don't have peer pressure.. we don't have to worry about teachers/principals/other children or parents criticizing or discouraging us.

I guess.. I just feel grateful to be able to school my children at home. Not only is it the best educational, social, physical, financial and emotional choice for my children.. but it's the best choice for ME to. I've heard too many people say things like "I could never Homeschool.. it'd be too much work(or money, time, hassle etc)... I've never been able to find a polite way to respond.. because I feel just the opposite. I can't imagine "having" to public school my children. After the hassle of sending them off to school, picking them up, and doing the various school related chores.. I'd STILL have to supervise homework, chaperone field trips/parties, read at bedtime, and provide a supportive home. It's like doubling the effort for less return and exponentially increased emotional/psychological grief.

I'm happy in my humble homeschool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home